Sunday 3 July 2016

Pet Sematary - A Book Review

Despite the fact that this is now my favourite book that I've read by Stephen King, it is evil. It ripped my heart apart. It will rip yours too. And it is for the people who are dead brave. King picks at the natural instinct inside of all of us to protect small children. Then he makes us face a raw and realistic nightmare with a hallucinogenic twist. Even King, himself, finds this story to be his scariest yet. 
Death is an obvious theme of this book as it teaches us that sometimes the dead are better off staying dead. This is no zombie story in spite of the way it sounds it is far more than anything of that category. The time taken to get to know these characters is lengthy but once they face hardship, as part of the family, so do you. So prepare to laugh, cry and feel as though insanity is calling your name.
The further I got into this book the more I did not trust the narrator, Louis Creed. In the first section of the book, Louis' dreams and reality are merging together. The divide between the two gets blurred. So as I read the rest, I thought to myself: is he half dreaming all this or is it really happening? 
I loved this book so much that I wanted the ending to be longer seeing as the rest of the book was building up to it. Nonetheless, the ending was a tsunami of emotions and worth the read. If you want to read this, which I recommend, then I have a challenge for you. In the book, I found two references to his other books. See if you can spot them. 
I dare you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment