Thursday 30 June 2016

The Revenant Book vs Film

The Revenant: a story about a man, Hugh Glass, who is mauled by a bear. Ripped into shreds. Abandoned by his fellowmen. This revenge tale will pull and yank you in every direction not giving you a break for breath. Well, with Glass’ throat in tatters you don’t have much to complain about. However, one thing I found myself moaning about was how different the film was to the book. I then discovered at the end creds that the film was only based ‘in part’ to the book. All became clear. So, here are a few things I found to be different in the book compared to the film to help you pick what to do first. You’re welcome.

The book and the film, to me, have very different themes following throughout them. In the book, it is man vs nature as he battles a bear but also a multitude of other animals, which I found to be a much better concept. Yet in the film it is more man vs man as the plot has changed and he wants revenge for a much deeper reason that is a much deeper reason that is perhaps more relatable to those watching than being abandoned. Throughout the film, he encountered more people and less animals. Throughout the book, he encountered less people and less animals.

Another difference between the two is that I found the book to be a lot gorier and thus a lot more realistic. Maggots and vomit made the book, although more gruesome, have a sense of reality. After all, this was a real life story and these things would and did happen. Granted the film does not have senses like smell, touch and taste to make it more disgusting, I still think these scenes should have stayed in. To me, the protagonist had less hardship in the film and made it look a little easier (than the book.) Nonetheless, Leonardo DiCaprio did an amazing job and certainly deserved the Oscar for it.
One thing I did prefer the film for over the book was, in fact, the ending. The film does give Glass more of a reason to battle his way back to have revenge on Fitzgerald, the antagonist. As for the book, the reason for revenge is seemed perhaps redundant. Plus, the film has a killer battle between Glass and Fitzgerald.

For me, the book was better despite the ending and the lack of Leonardo DiCaprio’s face. I just preferred the man vs nature concept that was left out of the film. If you’re wondering which one is better to read or watch first, I would say it doesn’t matter. The choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment